Thursday, January 12, 2012

Things That Inspire

On today's entry, I'd like to talk about things that inspire me. I highly encourage you all to reply with what encourages you! I'd like to know other walks of life and opinions on the matter.

For me, there are three main areas of design that inspire me.


  1. Colors. I'm a real big sucker for complimentary color schemes. I tend to play it safe with my choices of colors and I applaud those who can take harsh colors such as reds and blues, and make them into a beautifully balanced piece. I get inspired seeing combinations of colors I never thought I'd see together in a piece. It makes me want to push out of my safe zone to experiment, even if I usually end up frustrated. 
  2. Fonts. Seeing the way other designers put fonts together is truly something I look up to. As you can tell from my last post, I adore typography and dealing with fonts. Even if I love seeing it, I usually fall short in that area. I want to see myself as someone who can handle fonts appropriately. Seeing others deal with fonts in such a superb manner really inspires me to continue working!
  3. Storytelling. For me, there always has to be a story behind a piece. Throwing together colors and fonts are one thing, but having a respect and creative flow to form a reason why the piece is the way it is will always be a great love of mine. Everything starts from something, so allowing your ideas to sprout like seeds into a tree and vocalizing it shows such a passion that makes me really respect the author.
What inspires you?

3 comments:

  1. What inspires me in design? Good question. Let me think about it for a minute....okay I got the answer. What inspires me is people. I know that has nothing to do with design but they inspire me to create designs. With their personalities, and the way they carry themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The beach at Sunrise is one of my greatest inspirations. I can clear my mind of everything else and meditate on the awesomeness of nature. Hearing the waves, the breeze on my face. I usually have to be relaxed to be inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The answer to that question for me is a balance of artistic freedom. I love it. whether it is graphic design, or musically, I love to experiment. I'm glad to see you mentioned in your post that you would be open to experimentation.

    ReplyDelete